This program provides managerial, technical, and contractual assistance to Small Disadvantaged Businesses to ready the firm and its owners for success in the private industry. Eligibility of the 8(a) program relies in part on criteria for Small Disadvantaged Businesses but has additional requirements related to the business itself.
- Be a small business as defined by the Small Business Administration
- Not have previously participated in the 8(a) program
- Be at least 51% owned and controlled by U.S. citizens who are socially and economically disadvantaged
- Have a personal net worth of $850 thousand or less, adjusted gross income of $400 thousand or less, and assets totaling $6.5 million or less
- Demonstrate good character
- Demonstrate the potential for success such as having been in business for two years
This program offers mentorship and growth opportunities for qualifying small businesses as well as the opportunity to compete for and receive set-aside and sole source projects.